CAMPAIGNER WORKSHOP SUMMARY
ABOUT WORKSHOP FACILITATOR MIKE SMOCK
... wouldn't you love to have this guy working for you?
David Sims - TMCnet Contributing Editor
..."wikked smaht" as they say in Boston.
Harry Joiner - Marketing Headhunter
...a warrior who knows how to use reason.
Paul Greenberg - Author, CRM Guru
David Ogilvy and Bill Bernbach would have sided with Smock.
Marc Babej - Forbes Columnist
...A working man's version of Michael Porter.
Curt Sahakian - Corporate Partnering Institute
vSente's Campaigner Workshop is led by Mike Smock, the founder of vSente and an internationally recognized marketing expert.
Immediately prior to vSente, he was the Executive Vice President Sales and Marketing for CRM vendor Moss Software (recently sold to E.piphany) and Chief Revenue Officer for outdoor apparel maker Gramicci.
Smock has led more than 500 campaigns in 38 different industries as diverse as pipe fabrication, enterprise software and retail merchandising. For clients ranging from the Fortune 500 to VC backed startups and small privately held businesses. And for campaigns ranging in size from a one-week, $1,000 key account initiative to a nine-month $17 million product launch.
His clients have included GTE, Marshall Industries, IBM, Phillips, Texas Instruments, Jacobs Engineering, Weider Nutrition, Luxul Broadband, SyQuest Corporation, Christensen Boyles Corporation, Lockwood Greene and many small, privately held enterprises.
Below are some of the tools we use during vSente's CAMPAIGNER Workshop. The generic versions of these tools are available in vSente's Armory
HOW TO ANALYZE AND EXPLOIT COMPETITOR VULNERABILITIES.
The Campaign COG wizard generates an in-depth competitive analysis resulting in the identification of your competitors primary vulnerability (center of gravity). Use the COG wizard to better understand and exploit your competitive strengths relative to your competitor weaknesses. The COG wizard includes an interactive set of step-by-step instructions.
20 CAMPAIGN SIGNALS - ARE YOU SIGNALING OR IS YOUR COMPETITION?
The Campaign SIGNALS wizard describes 20 signals a competitor may demonstrate indicating potential vulnerabilities. An example of a potential attack signal is a competitor launching an expensive high profile strategic branding campaign which then makes them vulnerable to low profile direct marketing attacks. Why? Traditional branding theory advocates the need for a consistent message broadcast over time. So while your competitor is waiting for the branding to "work" you're already at work taking market share.
SEVEN FUNDAMENTAL BUILDING BLOCKS OF KILLER COMPETITIVE STRATEGY
The Campaign STRATEGY wizard describes seven fundamental building blocks of strategy with specific examples. These seven building blocks are price, quality, service, features, infrastructure, relationships and execution. Strategy is the enabler between ends and means. The ends represent the objective. The means includes enterprise resources, competencies, etc. In order for strategy to perform this enabling function it needs to be effective, comprehensible and executable. An example of strategy would be for the challenger to attack a leaders premium price, with their own premium pricing (NOT discount pricing!) in tandem with superior quality, features or reputation.
54 TACTICS TO SELECT FROM IN BUILDING YOUR OWN PLAN OF CAMPAIGN.
The Campaign TACTICS wizard is designed to provide a catalyst to drive strategy and tactics. This wizard is based upon Robert Cantrell's innovative Strategy Card Deck and describes 54 different strategies and tactics. Each strategy has a one line description, an explanation of the strategy, the basis for the strategy and a potential tactical application.
vSente's Armory is the on-line resource for competitive marketers and is the home library for many of the resources used in the Campaigner Workshop. If you'd like to preview these tools we are offering a free 3-day all access pass to vSente's Armory. Inside you'll find the wizards described above along with:
1. Manual. 95-page online manual describing the theory of competitive marketing including detailed step-by-step directions for developing and executing winning marketing campaigns.
2. Wizards. A series of interactive Excel spreadsheets that will help guide you through the process of building powerful marketing campaigns (see examples in the left hand column).
3. Planners. Excel workbooks used to plan, create, communicate and calibrate your plan.
4. Infrastructure. Links to companies, technologies, processes and methodologies.
5. Competencies. Links to agencies, consultancies, and other firms offering effective and accountable marketing competencies.
6. Rules. Rules of engagement to consider when executing your own marketing campaign.
7. Archive. Articles, links and papers on contemporary and historical marketing practices including various manuals focused on strategy and campaigning techniques.
Click here to access the free 3-day all access pass.
GAINING THE CAMPAIGNER CERTIFICATION
vSente's Campaigner certification is coveted by marketers who are looking for tangible evidence of their ability to execute effective and accountable advertising and marketing campaigns. In order to gain your Campaigner certification a marketer must:
1. Complete the two-day Campaigner Workshop.
2. Successfully complete a 10 question essay test demonstrating their proficiency with the tools found in vSente's Armory.
3. Utilize the One-Page Plan of Campaign for an actual campaign. The certification candidate must submit their completed One-Plan of Campaign as evidence of their proficiency.
Upon successfully completing the above steps the candidate will be issued vSente's Campaigner certification. They then have the right to identity themselves as a "Certified Campaigner" on their personal web site, blog, CV, resume or other professional qualifications documents.
Additionally the successful candidate can display the Campaigner logo on all professional documents, web sites or blogs.
vSente maintains a data base of all certified Campaigners and upon request of the Campaigner will release the results of their essay test and/or One-Page Plan of Campaign to prospective employers or clients as proof of their certification.
Call 415.457.8449 if you'd like to discuss a workshop. Our general e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
USING CAMPAIGN ENGINES TO CREATE EFFECTIVE AND ACCOUNTABLE ADVERTISING AND MARKETING CAMPAIGNS
How To Become An Effective And Accountable Marketing Campaigner
August 9-10, 2007 :: The Hyatt Regency - San Francisco
- How to build winning campaign engines.
- Benchmarks and metrics your CFO will love.
- Accountability and effectiveness your CEO will love.
MARKETERS ARE UNDER UNPRECEDENTED PRESSURE TO INCREASE THE EFFECTIVENESS AND ACCOUNTABILITY OF ADVERTISING AND MARKETING CAMPAIGNS
vSente's Campaigner Workshops teach marketers and agencies how to create, produce and execute effective campaigns.
|WHAT IS A CAMPAIGN ENGINE?
A campaigning methodology that orchestrates a fusion of human creativity and Web 2.0 technology resulting in effective and accountable advertising and marketing campaigns.
WHY ARE CAMPAIGN ENGINES NEEDED?
To deliver effective and accountable advertising and marketing campaigns.
HOW DOES A CAMPAIGN ENGINE INCREASE EFFECTIVENESS?
A Campaign Engine increases advertising and marketing campaign effectiveness by:
1. Amplifying competitiveness. A Campaign Engine swaps creative genes for competitive genes in order to generate campaign effectiveness (as opposed to creative awards). Campaigns are created to generate a specific measurable outcome such as an increase in market share or profit margin. The One-Page Plan of Campaign replaces the creative brief and is used to drive the creative process.
2. Infusing intelligence. Competitive intelligence is used to determine campaign strategy and guide the development of all creative elements. Competitive intelligence is infused via the orientation cycle of the campaign engine. The Campaign engine is driven by a Campaigner who's primary responsibility is the conversion of competitive intelligence into winning competitive strategy.
3. Enabling agile campaigning. Agile, assertive campaigning practices replace traditional advertising doctrine. Command, Orientation, Communication and Execution cycles, timed to best the competition enable agile campaigning. At the core of this agility are creative elements that are wickedly fast to produce, cheap, and optimized for Web 2.0 platforms in addition to traditional campaigning platforms.
VSENTE'S CAMPAIGNER WORKSHOPS
vSente's Campaigner Workshops are an intensive two-day, hands-on session ideally suited for marketers in small and medium-sized enterprises engaged in serious battles for market share against larger, better provisioned competitors. You will learn how to use maneuver theory in order to wage and win battles for market share. Maneuver theory can significantly reduce the cost and increase the effectiveness of your marketing campaigns.The two-day workshop format will:
01. Teach attendees how to build and run their own Campaign Engine.
02. Introduce competitive marketing tools and techniques.
03. Describe how to create accountable and effective marketing campaigns.
For 20 hours spread over the course of two days, workshop participants will challenge traditional marketing practices and uncover new processes, approaches and methodologies that will catalyze winning strategies and tactics.
Each workshop participant leaves with a toolbox full of techniques and resources including:
01. 500-page briefing book,
02. The Campaign Manual
03. Complimentary one-year subscription to vSente's Armory.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
vSente's Campaigner Workshop is designed for marketing practitioners in small and medium-sized enterprises engaged in tough battles for market share. Who should attend?
01. Marketing Executives
02. Chief Marketing Officers
03. Marketing Communication Managers
WORKSHOP SCHEDULE AND AGENDA
For 20 hours spread over the course of two days, workshop participants will challenge traditional marketing practices and uncover new processes, approaches and methodologies that will catalyze winning strategies and tactics. This is the schedule for a typical agenda:
07:30am :: Check-in
07:45am :: Welcome | Agenda | Objectives of the Workshop
08:00am :: Introduction to Campaigning
01.01.00 Defining campaigning.
01.02.00 Marketing campaigning myths and ironies.
01.03.00 Campaign backdrop - attack, defense, challengers, leaders.
01.04.00 Maneuver theory and marketing campaigning.
01.05.00 Military metaphors and marketing campaigns.
01.06.00 The campaign trinity - customer, competitor, competency.
01.07.00 Campaign forces - interaction and isolation.
01.08.00 Campaigning, competitiveness and marketers.
1:00pm Campaigning Theory
02.01.00 Foundation of maneuver theory.
02.02.00 Shaping the campaign.
02.03.00 Expected and unexpected.
02.04.00 John Boyd and the O-O-D-A Loop.
02.05.00 Speed is just the beginning.
02.06.00 Analysis and synthesis.
02.07.00 The need for external environments.
02.08.00 O-O-D-A and frame of reference.
02.09.00 Boyd’s definition of strategy.
02.10.00 Boyd’s Purpose of strategy.
02.11.00 Boyd’s theme for strategy.
02.12.00 Activating Boyd’s definition.
02.13.00 The importance of intelligence.
02.14.00 Introducing center of gravity (COG).
02.15.00 Dr. Joe Strange and center of gravity.
02.16.00 Applying CG analysis to the enterprise.
8:00am Campaigning Fundamentals
03.01.00 Profit trinity and center of gravity.
03.02.00 CG's - Offering, Infrastructure, Relationships, Execution
03.03.00 Signals indicating vulnerable CG's..
03.04.00 Center of gravity is continuously calibrated.
03.05.00 Center of gravity determines strategy.
03.06.00 A working definition of strategy.
03.07.00 Potential attack strategies for CG's.
03.08.00 Mission, objective and tactics wrap the strategy.
03.09.00 Campaign shaping forces - interaction and isolation.
03.10.00 Campaign tactics that create interaction and isolation..
03.11.00 Thinking three moves ahead - The three move set.
03.12.00 The campaign array - elements, competencies, infrastructure.
10:00am The Campaign Engine
04.01.00 What is a campaign engine?
04.02.00 Command and control wires the campaign engine together.
04.03.00 Campaigns need decentralized bottom-up command and control.
04.04.00 Building the campaign engine.
04.05.00 Timing the campaign engine and assigning roles.
1:00pm Planning the Campaign
05.01.00 The campaign paradigm - competition.
05.02.00 Using the One-Page Plan of Campaign
05.03.00 Rationalize the campaign
05.04.00 Frame the campaing mission, objective strategy and tactics.
05.05.00 Form the campaign engine.
05.06.00 Write the campaign narrative.
05.07.00 Utilizing the One-Page Plan of Campaign.
PRICING AND LOGISTICS
The cost of vSente's Campaigner Workshop is $1,950. Attendance is limited to 15 - so book now. The workshops are held at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco - located on the Embarcadero in the heart of San Francisco. Travel and lodging expenses are not included in the workshop fee and are the responsibility of each attendee. Snacks and lunch are provided each day. The workshop fee must be paid in full 14-days prior to the workshop date.
If you would like to pay by company check or have questions about the workshop please feel free to call 415.457.8449. You may cancel your registration up to 14 days in advance of the seminar for a full refund. No cancellations can be allowed with less than 14 days due to prepayments and other production commitments we must make in advance in order to put on each workshop.
Call 415.457.8449 if you'd like to discuss a workshop. Our general e-mail address is email@example.com.